Sunday, August 25, 2013

How Society Thinks


This is a short poem that I've discovered on the internet and it just stuck to me. Growing up, my parents enrolled my siblings and I in various extra curricular activities such as drawing classes, guitar lessons, dance lessons, math classes, cooking classes ( every class which I reallyyy enjoyed, especially drawing and cooking hehehe food) However, I cannot help but to notice that once we grow up... arts, play, and anything not related to business, mathematics, science, and technology are "quietly" shunned. Some say that following a career path in the field of arts may seem absurd because it isn't a "real" job. It's just play. Sure you'll have fun but you'll just end up starving in the streets.

I honestly think that this mentality should change. Yes, our technology is indeed ever evolving, times are indeed much harder and money is of greater importance now. However, the arts shouldn't be neglected and above all, it shouldn't be taken lightly. The arts represent our story of who we are, what we've been through, and what we are looking forward to. It isn't just an expression of an individual, but of a whole community.

Fortunately, I am very blessed to have parents who are very much open-minded and they support me with the choices I had, and will take. I plan to change this mentality and show the world how the arts shouldn't just be set aside. Let's take this one step at a time, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment